Sunday 19 August 2012

Day 9: Kyoto Part 1

I woke up early this morning and took the Shinkansen to Kyoto. It's about 2.5 hrs to get there and a really nice ride. The seats are roomier than the ones on the plane!



When I arrived, I hung around Kyoto station.









Then I went and got a map of Kyoto and a bus pass. I decided I'd do all the far-away things tomorrow on the bus pass and today I would walk or use my other rail pass which only allows me to ride on the two lines that reach here.

First up, Inari Fushimi!


Actually, I mistakenly took an express train and it took me past my destination. I had to double back. Hooray for transit passes!

Two stops away from mine


Non express trains don't get AC. They get fans.







1000 Cranes!!!







Fox deities everywhere







You're supposed to try to throw a coin through that hole. It's difficult!
 After a sufficient amount of time, I hopped back on the train and took the other line to Nijo Castle.




Actually those pictures had nothing to do with Nijo Castle except that they were along the way. I didn't go into Nijo Castle. For one thing, a major part of it was under construction. For another thing, admission cost 600 yen. That doesn't seem like a lot but considering I know I'll just go in, take pictures that look like these ones and come back out, it wasn't worth it. Those admission fees add up!



Pretty!


I then walked a lot longer than I anticipated to get to the only place in Kyoto I actually care about: the Manga Museum.

Random Miffy's along the way





Finally, the Manga Museum!




Pictures of the inside were not allowed but there were walls and walls of manga and you could just sit there and read. I spent most of the afternoon in here. Plus it was raining when I ducked in.

After the museum, I decided to walk to Gion where I heard there was shopping. 

Kyoto City Hall








or perhaps Tigger's?




There are a ridiculous amount of shrines and temples in Kyoto. Finally, I reached Gion. By this point I was dead tired because I had been carrying my backpack around all day. I tried to leave it at my hostel earlier on but I missed the drop-off time in the morning and the next time was 4pm.




There was shopping but still very expensive shopping. There really wasn't anything I saw that I wanted to buy. So I hopped on a bus back to the hostel.
There's a University building nearby
Some temple nearby. Yes, the whole thing is one temple.

 I checked into the hostel. The guy at the front desk showed me the place. It's very efficient. Actually, it's very comfortable inside my capsule. It's not as small as it looks. I'm not feeling claustrophobic at all.


My capsule!

I noticed a sign that said "Try a kimono on! Free between 13:00 - 21:00. Just ask!" So I asked and I was the catalyst for lots of girls wanting to try them on. There was only the one guy too. I think he thought I was annoying...too bad! It's because it's mostly guys here so he probably doesn't get asked often.


The umbrella was heavy!

I convinced this girl to do it too. It took a while.
Pity...there was a blue one but the pattern on it was ugly. Everything else was pink. But oh well...free! Also, apparently I am the only girl in the entire hostel with feet small enough to actually fit in the geta. I tried on some wooden ones. They were actually quite comfortable! I actually do not know that girl's name...but she reminds me of my friend Brenda.

Tomorrow I will be returning to Tokyo in the evening. My trip is almost over! My last full day is free. I didn't plan anything because I wanted to give myself one day to go back anywhere I needed to. Harajuku is on that list!

1 comment:

  1. That Kyoto train station looks like it belongs on the Death Star. Or maybe some kind of non-evil version of the Death Star...

    ReplyDelete