Saturday 18 August 2012

Day 8: Origami Kaikan, Akihabara, Ueno

Today was a rainy day. It got a little sunnier in the afternoon and then turned gloomy again. I started off by heading over to the Origami Kaikan, basically a building with a shop, a manufacturing floor, and some classrooms. All dedicated to origami! Pictures weren't encouraged inside. I went in and was directed to the third floor. There, the owner was showing off his origami skills! I was very impressed by his nonchalant folding attitude and disappointed by his use of scissors and stickers.

Check out all the stuff she has handing off her phone!







Don't do it!



Afterwards, I went to Akihabara. It's an area full of electronics, anime, and girls in maid uniforms talking in anime voices while trying to give you coupons. I was too overwhelmed to take pictures.







Actually, I was disappointed with Akihabara. I thought I'd enjoy it more but I think the language barrier really puts a damper on things. I also am not up-to-date with any of the animes. I walked around aimlessly hoping to see something cool.

Eventually I gave up and left. My last planned stop of the day was Ueno which is full of museums. Anyone who knows my family knows that we're not exactly a cultural bunch. On top of that, I'm being really cheap and I don't really want to spend all that admission fare. Finally, I considered that I didn't have many days left in Japan and I really wanted to go back to Ikebukuro so that's what I did.

I had made a deal with my friend to find some anime stuff so I headed to the store Animate and picked up some stuff. Ikebukuro really is one of my favourite areas to be in. Also, I've developed a love for Gloomy Bear. I'm not sure why I never really paid attention to him before.

GUNNO GETCHU!

There was some special promo going on...I didn't know the anime


Again, look at all the stuff on their phones and bags!
When the sun had gone down a little and it was safe to walk outside without frying, I headed to Ueno. Basically there's a park where all the cultural stuff is. I went by and did not realize that they close so early! Everyone was leaving. So here I present pictures of all the places I didn't actually go into but it's ok. I'm not big into art or Japanese history anyhow. The zoo might have been cool if the admission was lower.





















This guy was riding on the train with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment