Saturday 9 July 2011

Flight to Taipei


We’re just past hour 2 on the plane. I’m not uploading this until I get some internet but I figure that blogging will be a nice way to kill some time of the flight. It’s not a bad flight so far. There’s a lot of good movies and TV shows although they are currently rebooting the system because some of the aisles were not functioning.
Funny story about that, by the way… I really wanted an aisle seat so that I could stretch my legs and not bother people going in and out of the seats. However, there were some issues with the online check-in and by the time I was finally able to check in, I could not really change my seat anymore. I was given a middle seat in row 33 which was as close to the front of the plane as possible at the time. I switched my seat to a middle seat in row 34 just because I like the number 34 better. (My house number in Markham!) But once we got on the plane, the girl sitting next to me asked if I would switch with her friend who had an aisle seat in row 37. Great! It just so happens that my original 34B seat was one of the ones with a dysfunctional entertainment system anyways. So not only did I end up with a nice aisle seat (although my carry-on is back at 34 on the other side of the plane), I also get to watch movies and TV shows.

So far I’ve watched the two episodes of Community. Other movies they have are Morning Glory, Hall Pass, Gnomeo and Juliet, How To Train Your Dragon, Gulliver’s Travels, I Am Number Four, Just Go With It, Justin Bieber, Limitless, No Strings Attached, Rango, The American, The Dilemma, The Green Hornet, Unknown, and more. Way better than the last time I flew to Hong Kong and the only good movies were Enchanted and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. For TV they have Dexter, The Kennedys (which I did want to watch), Community, Just For Laughs, Modern Family, Nurse Jackie, The Rick Mercer Report, Two and a Half Men, The Winnipeg Comedy Festival, and more. I will be entertained.

Most of the people on the plane are Japanese. Not surprising since we are headed to Tokyo. But we will be switching to another plane to head to Taipei once we get there. I really really REALLY hope I manage to get something cool at the Japanese duty-free. It’s one of my goals this trip. Japanese stewardesses are very polite and they always have nice hot green tea available. Although I’m not the hugest fan of green tea, it’s a good drink to settle my stomach. 

Speaking of stomach…I ordered a fruit platter because I know that plane food does not agree with me. Our first dinner was a chicken/beef with some corn mixture, a bun, water, and a chocolate brownie. My fruit platter had grapes, half a strawberry, a slice of cantaloupe/pineapple/honeydew, a cantaloupe/honeydew mixture (which was not as good as the slices), water, bun, and a raspberry yogurt cup. The girl across the aisle asked for the bottle of water but turned down the meal. She had brought her own sandwiches. I was eyeing the brownie but I figured it probably wasn’t polite to ask for it. But then the woman next to me dropped her fork so instead of picking it up (awkward spacing and all) I asked the stewardess if we could grab the cutlery from the girl’s abandoned meal. Then the stewardess asked if we wanted anything else from the tray! So I took the brownie and the lady next to me took the bun and butter. The stewardess grabbed the wet nap for herself! So that was nice. It was a good brownie too. The stewardess jokingly said to the girl, “Look! You’re making other people very happy!”

Reboot is not complete yet…boo…time to watch some Sailormoon on my laptop…or maybe not since it seems the reboot just finished. Back to movies/TV…what to watch…

No comments:

Post a Comment