Monday 23 July 2012

Typhoon Vincente

They really like England over here.






England is on my list of places to go but I think next summer I will try for South Korea first.

Typhoon Vincente is upon us! On Sunday when I was in Tai Koo with my cousins they had already put out the #1 storm signal. It was light rain and wind...like a Canadian fall. Then on Monday at school it began to rain harder and we got to a #3 storm signal. We heard that it might go up to a #8 so we all handed out "Typhoon Assignments" that the students had to complete if there was no school. It's pretty much a review package. Good timing! Some of my students are really resourceful, namely the Hong Kong ones, ie used to live in HK and only came to Canada a few years ago. My Canadian students ventured out in the rain to the eateries across the street. My 6 lovely brats in the grade 10 class called McDonalds during first break and had them deliver their lunch to the school. The students bolted from the school at 3:30pm. We teachers tried too. We broke off into two groups: cab vs bus. I was in the cab group and surprisingly was able to hail 5 taxis in a row. Sucks for the bus people.

Around 5pm the storm signal went up to #8. Through the night it went up to #9 and then 10 but now in the morning it is back down to #8. The Education Bureau of HK cancelled all classes today so NO SCHOOL! Good for me because I really wanted a break and I didn't finish marking some stuff.




1 comment:

  1. McDonald's delivers?!?!?!?

    Oh yeah, glad you're ok.

    ReplyDelete