Saturday 21 July 2012

The Sick Student

It's been an eventful few days and will probably take up a couple of posts.

First of all, on Thursday, a bunch of us went into Kowloon City to a restaurant called Islam Foods. One of my colleagues had gone before and said that it was really good. We went and had the beef goulash and the beef dumplings and a bunch of curry (which I couldn't eat). It was delicious! Apparently, lots of HK celebrities go there too! (www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=1441)


牛肉餅 Veal Goulash
Caution: squirts lots of juice and always manages to miss your dark clothes and hit your light ones!
Photo credit: openrice.com
 
Afterwards we walked to the nearby plaza. It wasn't very impressive but it had a Crocs Outlet. You get 10% off if you buy two pairs. Of course, it's all older styles. Then the principal got a call from one of the students, Elaine. She said she was feeling sick in her stomach. Since Elaine speaks limited English and speaks Mandarin and is female, I had to go help out. So half of us high-tailed it back to the hotel. I thought perhaps it could be menstrual cramps but as soon as we walked into her room I knew it was not. Her room was so warm and the air was cloying. It was full of food-stuffs and not healthy foods either. It was pizza hut, McDonalds and KFC. Eating all that crap and no fruit or veggies, etc, she was getting indigestion. But she didn't think that was the problem. She complained that she was feeling nauseated all the time and anyhoo, bottom line, I offered to let her stay in my room for the night so that I could keep an eye on her in case she really did throw up and then she wouldn't be bothering her roommate either. So she came with me and went straight to bed. This was around 8:30pm so I worked in the bathroom.


By the next morning, she was still feeling sick. I personally felt like she was being a wussy and exaggerating it so that we would take her to a doctor, which is what her mom told her to do. Her mom is a doctor in the mainland, by the way, and we told her to take some Gravol and drink soda water. We also lectured her and the other students extensively on proper eating habits. The other kids are fine. I think it goes without saying that I certainly didn't sleep well that night. Not only was I hyper sensitive to her being in my room, I also put the room at a temperature that she felt comfortable with, which is several degrees higher than I felt comfortable with. I feel sorry for her roommate. 







Friday night, I went to see my Uncle and Aunt #5. They took me to Cafe Landmark in Central. But it's a special type of Amex (I think it's a Senior's thing). The price was pretty scary. They kept trying to convince me to order the special set meal with the beef and abalone (a whole one) but it cost $450HKD. So instead, I ordered a la carte because it had a discount if they paid with an Amex. I got the lobster linguine. It was one of the cheaper things on the menu at $260HKD (but there was a 35% discount because there were three of us). It. Was. To. Die. For. Soooo good....I didn't take pictures because they'd think I was dumb. It's a higher-class place after all. (http://www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=10521)



I found out later, online, that the lobster linguine was the best thing there. Lucky choice!
Photo credit: openrice.com

My aunt did get the abalone meal and gave me a few pieces. Also scrumptious! And she gave me her dessert which was a mango napoleon and absolutely nothing like I imagined it would be. It was crispy circles in layers between thick slices of very fresh mango. It came with a tiny scoop of real vanilla bean ice cream. Money really does buy happiness...at least until I poop it out. They also had a bread basket with different types of bread. Our basket had white french bread, raisin bread and my personal favourite, sundried tomato bread. Yummy in my tummy.

So that was Friday...

In random news, I got bitten three times on the leg. I had wet towels on it for a while. It's finally died down a bit. Here's a before and after. PS, that's not massive swelling: my legs are just that fat.


IN my desk, not ON my desk.

Also, I did say that I would take a picture of my teacher desk at school. Here it is!






No comments:

Post a Comment